Comic-Con City of Heroes panel
As perhaps expected for an MMO that are dealing with comic book style superheroes, there was a panel at ComicCon talking covering City of Heroes: Freedom, courtesy of Gamespot. It is about 34 minutes long. There is also an excerpt video of the panel which provides a shortened version of the content (almost 9 minutes).
A few points to note from the panel:
- Quick start – you can get into the game and start creating your character after a few minutes, while the rest of the game downloads
- Redesigned character creation user interface
- Revamped shared tutorial for all players – you choose if you are going to be a hero or villain in the tutorial and take different paths in the tutorial
- Online training missions – tutorial itself if intended to be quite quick to go through; instead some extra training information is provided through optional story arc missions once you are in the “real” game.
- Starter zones (Atlas Park and Mercy Island) have both had a revamp – Mercy primarily the mission content, Atlas Park also the whole zone design with better graphics.
- Low level Sewer trial event – first team event aimed at level 1-5 players, which you can queue up for using the game’s LFG queueing system (similar to WoW Dungeon Finder). This is available to both heroes and villains.
- Travel powers available from level 4 and new enhanced travel powers available also from the same power pools (at later levels)
- New powerset Time Manipulation available to everyone
- Two new premium powersets (i.e. you have to pay for them) – Street Justice and Beam Rifle
- New zone First Ward aimed at level 20-25, Praetorian Earth zone, but Praetorian character not needed for access.
- New incarnate trial – Underground Trial
- Find contact button – find contacts which may have mission content for you and even allow you to teleport to those contacts.
- Signature stories – new story arcs released once per month. Heroes and villains play the same story, but from different perspectives. Free for VIPs, must be bought by others.