STO is CoX 2
I have been playing mainly City of Villains and some Star Trek Online lately. It strikes me that in spirit, STO feels more like CoV/CoH 2 than Champions does.
Both game have
- Heavy instancing with similarly looking environments
- Instances scale based on team size
- A few archetypes with a fair amount of flexibility in skills to pick
- Not forcing or requiring teams, but proving a bit nicer experience if you do
- Task forces
- Newspaper/safeguard/patrol missions
While Champions certainly epanded upong superhero extravaganza and the ka-boom/freem/ba-rumble part, I think a fair amount of the thoughts that went into City of Heroes has found a new setting in Star Trek Online.
Note that I do not think this is bad – after all I have played CoV/CoH longer than any other MMO by far, despite some shortcomings. But I cannot help noticing that for me they feel more similar in spirit than either of them with Champions.